Big Welcome Privacy Notice
Action for Children is committed to protecting the privacy of its supporters and stakeholders. All your personal information will be treated in accordance with data protection law including the UK Data Protection Act 2018 and the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2017 and other applicable data privacy legislation.
Action for Children are the data controllers for all data entered into the system.
Purpose of processing and lawful basis
Big Welcome is a digital service that allows foster carers to create a profile about themselves and their family home. Profiles can be shared with social workers and young people as part of the matching and placement process. They allow children and young people to find out information about a potential foster home in a friendly, personable and relevant format. They also allow fostering services to make more appropriate matches with young people.
Under data protection rules we have to have a lawful basis for processing your personal data. In this case, our lawful basis is that the processing in is our legitimate interest. This is to assess the suitability of our foster carers, and support matching of our foster carers with young people being placed in care.
Data we collect
- Your first and last name
- Your email address
- Information you include in your profile
- Site usage data and information collected from cookies, including device information
- Login information
How we use it
We collect information through the Big Welcome service in order to:
- Facilitate the foster care matching and placement process
- Review and understand how individuals use the service so that we can continue to improve it
- To contact you in response to a specific enquiry or for feedback about your use of the service
- To provide marketing material to promote the service or other related services (only with your consent)
Who we share it with
Your Big Welcome profile may be shared with
- Professionals from local authorities and young people you may be matched with.
- Professionals in Action for Children fostering services involved in the fostering process, from application and approval through to matching and placement, as well as ongoing supervision.
- Action for Children's Big Welcome support team to manage and support the platform
Your feedback on the service, website usage data and information from cookies may be shared with other organisations engaged to help us improve the service. We will always ensure that controls are place to protect your data. Personal data will be anonymised, unless you have given us your consent to be named when sharing your feedback.
How long will we keep your information?
We only keep your information as long as we need to. The law expects us to keep your information for:
- 6 years if you withdraw your application or your application is unsuccessful.
- 10 years if your application is approved.
We have a system to ensure that your information is only accessed by authorised individuals authorised in the performance of their duties.
Action for Children has robust Information Security and Data Protection policies in place to protect all the data it holds, including your personal data.
If you want to ask us what information we hold about you, update information, withdraw consent, make a complaint or ask questions in relation to your information, please contact someone at your local service or the Data Protection Officer at [email protected] or Action for Children, 3 The Boulevard, Ascot Road, Watford, WD18 8AG. If you are unhappy with our reply to a complaint or want to find out more about data protection and your rights or to make a compliant, visit the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.gov.uk.